Love this one! The moon is a print done with a round piece of styrofoam and white paint. The branch was added with a black sharpie once the paint had dried. The owl was explained as an oval with two small triangle ears. They left two spaces for the eyes before coloring in the owl. The effect is awesome!
For remembrance day we created these fields of poppies. Students began by painting red "blobs" on blue construction paper. The blobs got larger as they went down towards the bottom of their page. Once they were dry, students used green pastel to colop in the grassy field. Students were told that if they want to get the illusion of perspective they should have darker grass at the bottom of their page and lighter grass towards the top.
We made these as our first art project this year. Students chose a "group" of pastel colours in light and dark shades. They were given a square black piece of paper and were asked to start with one square in the middle then expand the size of their square as they continued in different colors. They were mounted on similar colors, but would also loo interesting mounted on complimentary color
We started these by drawing two lines down the sides of our page for the trees and a line to connect as the horizon. Students traced their lines in sharpie then coloured the tree trunks with a brown crayon. Students were given small square tissue paper in a variety of colors, glue, and a pencil crayon. They wrapped the tissue around the bottom of their pencil crayon, dipped it in glue, then attached the tissue to the paper. Once they were satisfied with the amount of leaves on their tree, they used watercolor to paint the sky blue and the grass green.
These beautiful poppies were created by our K's and 1's. They started by painting big red blobs on the bottom of their blue construction paper and small red blobs on the top. This gives the illusion of perspective. The paint dried over night. The next day, the students used oil pastels to create the center circle of their poppy and the surrounding grass.
This was a Grade 2/3 art project. This was a two day project. On the first day we discusses tints and shades and made the moonlit background. They started with the center white circle and added more blue each time they made a new circle. On the second day we drew a tree on large black paper, cut it out and glued it on the piece.
These are another simple project with a very effective result. They are currently gracing the hallways of KPES on our newly installed black bulletin boards. The students started by making 3 black thumbprints on their page. Once they were dry the web and legs were added with black sharpie marker. Finally, google eyes were added
To draw the web the students started by making a big "x" and "+" on their page. The supporting lines were added next and were described as a "u" shape. Students traced their lines with a white crayon. The watercolour wash was added last and left the image of the web on the page. If using watercolour paper, do a water wash first on the page then dot the colour in the pools of water.
The Grade 2's and 3's drew and coloured these haunted houses. They started with the horizon line on an orange piece of paper, then framed their houses on top using squares and triangles. The path and tree trunks were sketched next with a pencil and ruler, then colour was added to to create the look of shadows and light. Rocks on the path and the moon were added next. The students then chose three shades of yellow and orange to create their sky. Wow! These are going to look great on our newly painted black bulletin boards.
We worked very hard the with squares of coloured paper to make these wonderful trees. The first step was placing the cool coloured squares for the background. The next step was gluing warm colours on a smaller piece of paper for the tree. We then cut the tree into a circle. After the tree was glued to the background we added a tree trunk and branches. Great job, grade K & 1!
Way to go, K's and 1's! Your first art project of the year was very successful. These peices of art compliment the story "No David" by David Shannon. While reading, we focused on how the illustrations in this book actually tell most of the story. This was a simple cut and paste activity, perfect for the first few weeks of school. Another great idea from Pinterest!
There are many different versions of these Kandinsky circles on children's art websites. Ours were made by making 2 or 3 pastel circles then washing over them with watercolour to fill in the background. This is a good option for young kids who never seem to be able to fill in all the white spots on a piece of paper! Each child made 2 squares, then we put them together to create one big piece of artwork. Mrs. Urdang came up with the bulletin board tittle "Can You Hear My Artwork?" which went well with our introduction of the artist and his ability to hear colour.
These scarecrows graced our hallway for most of the fall. They are inspired by the blog: http://www.artprojectsforkids.org/. Both of these picture were created by Grade One students. We did the drawings step by step, line by line. We used the same abc boom language that we use to teach proper letter formations in language arts which helped the kids make the lines properly. The scarecrow is outlined with black pastel and painted with watercolour. Students were encouraged to let their watercolour "pool" on the page to create different tones of the same colour.
Our classes did these in the fall. We started with a piece of black paper and some leaves that Joanne had collected on that rainy day. We used white tempra paint to "print" the leaf images on the black paper. Students then sponged on a variety of colours for the background. The effect on the black paper is stunning.